6 Things You Have To Know About The Referee – Nigeria Vs Argentina
6 Things You Have To Know About The Referee Nigeria Vs Argentina
The game, which ended 2-1 in favour of Argentina at the St Petersburg Stadium has become the talk of the town as many Nigerian football fans are saying the referee was biased in his officiating.
- He is 41-year-old Turkish national Cuneyt Cakir.
- He officiated Argentina’s semi-final clash against Netherlands at the 2014 World Cup which Argentina won 4-2 on penalties.
- On 24 April 2012, he officiated the Champions League semifinal between FC Barcelona and Chelsea at Camp Nou, Barcelona. Çakır sent off John Terry in first half. Chelsea won 3-2 on aggregate, although the match ended in a 2-2 draw.
- Çakır officiated the 2015 UEFA Champions League Final match between Juventus vs. Barcelona which the Catalans won.
- In all Lionel Messi has never lost a game refereed by Cakir, and there have been eight of such games.
- He has refereed more than 250 games in the Turkish Super Liga.